chief executive and registrar, GMC
Charlie Massey joined the General Medical Council as Chief Executive and Registrar in November 2016.
Prior to that appointment he spent 4 years at the Department of Health as one of its Director Generals. During his time there, he had responsibility for:
- Oversight and policy responsibility for acute care provision, including sponsorship of NHS Improvement, and the NHS Litigation Authority
- Policy and strategy on workforce issues, including sponsorship of Health Education England
- Policy and strategy on quality, safety, regulation and professional standards, including sponsorship of the Care Quality Commission;
- The Department of Health’s strategy function, and Ministerial private offices
- Communications and stakeholder management.
Prior to his appointment Charlie was Director for Ageing Society and State Pensions at the Department for Work and Pensions, where he led on policy for State Pensions and other pensioner benefits, extended working life and ageing.
Before that he worked in a variety of roles across government and the wider public sector, including:
- As an Executive Director at the Pensions Regulator, leading the development of a new regulatory strategy to improve the funding of final salary pension schemes
- Leading reviews on childcare and drugs in the Prime Minister’s Strategy Unit
- Leading work on Royal Mail and the future of the Post Office network at HM Treasury
Charlie chairs a local housing charity, and is married with three children.
Speaker at Pulse LIVE London 2018 and Pulse LIVE Liverpool 2019